CHINESE AND SOUTHEAST ASIAN LEGAL CLINIC
Articling Student 2023-2024 (8 month contract)
January 10, 2023
Funded by Legal Aid Ontario (LAO), the Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic (CSALC) is a dynamic community legal clinic which serves low-income members of Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodian and Laotian communities in Ontario.
CSALC is hiring an Articling Student for an 8 month contract starting in the summer of 2023. The articling student will have a broad range of learning opportunities during the term of articles in relation to a variety of poverty law issues. The Articling Student will conduct casework, social justice advocacy and public legal education. The casework will include intake with clients, summary advice, and representation before government departments, tribunals and courts. Apart from assisting lawyers of the clinic in providing legal services to clients in these areas of law, the articling student will also be involved in developing public legal education tools, legal precedents and other resource materials.
Essential qualifications include:
- Eligible to undertake articles in Ontario
- Competency in spoken Mandarin, Cantonese or Vietnamese
- Ability to work in the office (with some optional days working from home)
Ideally, you would also have:
- Excellent research, writing and communications skills.
- Experience working with low-income Asian communities is an asset.
- Interest and experience working with disadvantaged communities or in social justice
- Experience in one or more of CSALC’s areas of practice (immigration, social assistance and income maintenance, tenant rights, employment and human rights)
- Experience as a strong team player, and ability to work independently.
Salary will be $68,000 per annum, pro-rated for the 8-month period. CSALC is not able to pay any other fees associated with articling (e.g., LSO fees).
Please note our office has a mandatory vaccination policy.
Deadline for application: Starting on Friday, March 3, 2023, we will be processing applications on a rolling basis, with no specific deadline. Interviews will be March to April.
Anticipated start date: July 2023
Please e-mail your application to <firstname.lastname@example.org> including
1. cover letter addressed to the Hiring Committee
2. resume, and
3. law school transcripts.
We thank all applicants but will only contact candidates shortlisted for interviews.