CHINESE AND SOUTHEAST ASIAN LEGAL CLINIC
Funded by Legal Aid Ontario (LAO), the Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic (CSALC) is a dynamic community legal clinic which serves low income members of Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodian and Laotian communities in Ontario.
CSALC is looking for a Director of Legal Services (DLS). The DLS would manage, supervise and direct all aspects of CSALC’s legal services and activities, including management of the casework and the delivery of high quality legal services.
The DLS will lead a team of dedicated 5-6 caseworkers, which includes Staff Lawyers and Community Legal Workers performing legal services, and may include an Articling Student or law students. The DLS will ensure that CSALC continues to build effective legal services for the communities and clients served by the clinic.
The applicant must be a lawyer in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario. In addition, the ideal candidate would meet most of the following criteria:
- Competence in spoken Mandarin, Cantonese, or Vietnamese
- Experience in one or more of CSALC’s areas of practice (immigration, social assistance and income maintenance, tenant rights, employment, human rights, and test case litigation)
- Experience in public legal education, systemic advocacy and community development
- Experience working in social justice or with disadvantaged Asian communities
- Qualified to act as an articling principal, which requires three out of the last five years as a practising lawyer
- Management skills, including supervising legal work
- Collaborative approaches to building relationships with the staff and stakeholders.
The CSALC office is in downtown Toronto. CSALC is a unionized workplace with a recently ratified second agreement expiring on March 31, 2027. The Director of Legal Services position will be part of management. The salary range is $110,000 to $135,000. Compensation will be commensurate with experience, and will include a group benefits package and employer RRSP contributions, plus the reward of knowing that your work will make a positive and longstanding impact for the marginalized communities.
Please send your cover letter and résumé to CSALC Hiring Committee by email to email@example.com. CSALC will begin considering applications on Monday November 6, 2023 4:00 pm, but will continue to accept applications after this. The preferred start date is December 1, 2023.
For more information about the position, please email John Doherty, Interim Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.