CHINESE AND SOUTHEAST ASIAN LEGAL CLINIC
July 11, 2023
Funded by Legal Aid Ontario (LAO), the Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic (CSALC) is a dynamic community legal clinic which serves low income members of Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodian and Laotian communities in Ontario.
CSALC is looking for a new Executive Director dedicated to advocating for racial equity and social justice. As the leader of CSALC, the Executive Director will work with the Board of Directors to establish and implement strategic goals and objectives for the clinic; and direct all aspects of CSALC’s operations and activities, including administration, personnel management, delivery of high quality legal services, test case litigation, systemic advocacy, and community engagement.
Consistent with CSALC’s vision and mission, and its strong track record as a social justice champion, the Executive Director is expected to lead CSALC in combatting systemic racism and employ an intersectional equity lens to all aspects of the CSALC’s operations. The Executive Director is CSALC’s primary spokesperson and representative.
The Executive Director will lead a team of dedicated staff of eight in a unionized workplace. The Executive Director will ensure that CSALC continues to build effective relationships with community and civic organizations, funders, and the client communities served by the clinic.
The CSALC office is in downtown Toronto, and there is some flexibility to work remotely.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Competence in spoken Mandarin, Cantonese, or Vietnamese
- Experience in one or more of CSALC’s areas of practice (immigration, social assistance and income maintenance, tenant rights, employment, human rights, and test case litigation)
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and social justice
- Strong management and leadership skills, including collaborative approaches to building relationships with staff, Board and all stakeholders
- Experience supervising legal work, and organizing campaigns and projects
- Experience in unionized workplaces
- Experience with not-for-profit organizations and community boards.
CSALC understands that this is a specialized position that may require a new Executive Director to grow into the position. Although we are open to applications from recent calls to the Bar, please note that the ED usually is the principal for an articling student, and this requires at least three years as a practising lawyer. Mentoring and support will be available, as needed. The salary range is $115,000 to $150,000. Compensation will be commensurate with experience, along with a group benefits package and employer RRSP contributions, plus the reward of knowing that your work will make a positive and longstanding impact on the marginalized communities.
Please send your cover letter and résumé to CSALC Hiring Committee by email to email@example.com. CSALC will begin processing applications on Friday, August 11, 2023, but will continue to accept applications after this. The expected start date for this position is September 2023.
We thank all applicants, but will only contact candidates shortlisted for interviews.